A collection of the most frequently asked questions about Challenger Mobile’s service
1. Do I need an agreement with mobile operators in order to introduce Challenger Mobile VoIP (CMVoIP)?
No, Challenger Mobile provides everything that is required for your customers to be able to make calls using your service: from a mobile application to call minutes to any mobile or fixed phone number.
2. Does a user need a new number?
The user keeps his or hers existing number, however, Challenger Mobile generates an mVoIP number based on the user’s existing mobile phone number. For example, the mobile number +4671234567 becomes 4671234567 for the mVoIP service.
3. How would one of our customers be able to start making calls with us?
It is very easy and quick to get started. The customer registers to your service by providing their mobile phone number and handset model. This can be done on your website, by calling customer services, sending you an SMS or using another systems. Thereafter, the customer will automatically receive the branded CMVoIP application to their mobile phone via SMS. After starting the application, the customer can begin making calls with your mobile service.
4. What handsets can be used with CMVoIP?
CMVoIP supports the major mobile platforms: iPhone and Android.
5. What do we need to do in order to offer our customers mobile VoIP with Challenger Mobile?
By partnering with Challenger Mobile, you don’t need to worry about infrastructure investments. Challenger Mobile takes care of everything. Your company only needs to market the service and handle customer care.
6. Why can you make cheaper calls with CMVoIP?
CMVoIP can offer cheaper telephony because the calls are routed as data traffic over the Internet.
7. How much data is used to make a call?
An mVoIP call uses less than 1 MB per minute.
8. What servers do we need to use CMVoIP?
Our services are entirely ”cloud-based” and you don’t need any hardware or software to deliver CMVoIP. We run all mVoIP systems, databases etc. from our own systems.
9. Does the customer need to terminate his or her conventional GSM/3G subscription?
No, it is possible to maintain the current subscription, as well as to use CMVoIP, on the same handset.
10. What is the difference between VoIP and mVoIP?
It is basically the same underlying technology. However, mVoIP means that the technology is optimized for mobile handsets.
11. Is calling using CMVoIP free of charge? If not, who pays?
Challenger Mobile does not charge for mVoIP-to-mVoIP calls. However, we charge you a very competitive per-minute price for calls to fixed and mobile phone numbers, anywhere in the world.
12. Is CMVoIP the new Skype?
Basically, both CMVoIP and Skype are similar as both services connect calls over the Internet. However, Skype is based on a proprietary technology while CMVoIP is based on open standards such as SIP (Session Initiation Protocol), which is a recognised standard for VoIP. Furthermore, CMVoIP is a service that offers more “phone-like” calling behavior from a mobile phone than Skype does. CMVoIP is offered as a service to companies to launch a mobile VoIP service under their own brand. Also, the subscribers can be charged by their mobile operators (the regular phone bill) and not by using credit cards online.
13. Our customers hardly dare to start their phones when abroad, why would they use this service?
Using CMVoIP, you can call without being connected to a mobile network. You can even remove your SIM card from the mobile phone and only use the Wi-Fi network connection at the hotel, airport, café etc to make and receive calls with CMVoIP.
14. How long does it take to launch CMVoIP to our customers?
We can deliver CMVoIP in eight weeks from when the contract is signed.
15. Do we need to be licensed by the telecom regulator?
No license is required for telephony since Challenger Mobile connects the calls and has a full telephony license at the Swedish Post and Telecom Agency (PTS).